Text + picture in the box are moved from my other blog!
I wanted to draw a cat. But when trying this caused a problem. So, here is the picture, so you can judge for yourself:
As I see the problem is: I know what a cat is, but I could not imagine a cat. Could be because normally I do not have contacts to cats.
So, I see two choices now:
- find a cat nearby in real life and get some detailed view on it or (since cats do not want to stand still when I want this)
- perhaps easier: search in Google for some cat pictures and study these and draw after this (but the danger could be that it will be more copying than imagination).
This brings me to the subject, that people have to observe more details from their environment.
In that way that you can imagine objects really when closing the eyes. OK, you could now say: “I do not have the time to have a close look on everything so detailed.” - true. But why not try first with one object?
E.g. while walking stand still and watch your environment. You will see much more, when you hold on for a moment - instead of rushing. Observe your environment ! Then later try to draw what you have selected. And when you have done this, take the picture with you where this object is and compare it.
Did you catch with the picture the object? If not, aren’t you eager to make it better?
Perhaps this will help you to observe much more like a detective or police officer. They can list many details when being asked later for specifics. And if you do not want to be a detective or police officer, be a painter or dreamer or something else what you want to be.
I am sure this will help you in testing.
Author: Erkan Yilmaz (2007-04-07)
after 5 years:
- just wondering why I mentioned only pictures? I mean other media like e.g video offer a richer experience.
(From what I see Youtube is around since 2005, bought by Google in 2006. Was it not that popular back then? (you see here that I associate video with Youtube, there are more places for this media))
- On the subject of cats: Had more chances to watch cats since then, mostly so that they are not aware of that, which gives additional insights. From what I remember mostly in 2 situations:
- preparing to catch a bird
- being lazy, cleaning themselves
- ↑ it may contain text + files which are not available in the same licence of this wiki - before reusing you have to clarify with me!!