What makes the light so irresistible
Just wanted some fresh air actually. But when seeing the street lamp and some beings (let's call them insects, in different sizes and shapes) trying to approach the light in the dark (in various speeds) I couldn't stop but wonder again.
One thought may be: stupid (low) beings. Another thought may be: is it something related to survival ? Are they in a desperate situation ? Are they perhaps being controlled by some other force ? Suicide attempts ? Masochists ? Perhaps it is a game which they play (before going to "bed") ? Perhaps they are trying to amuse someone ? Me ? You ? Their mates ? Perhaps I am just dreaming already. Or there is no sense at all. Or another possible answer I am too lazy about to think. What might they get out of this ? Besides that they get injured.
If one observes, one may see one of the answers. And hopefully search for the other answer after that. Let's wait for tomorrow to see this happening again. I wonder if it will be the same beings again ? There is learning taking place surely. I wonder how much and on which side of this spectacle ?
2011-10-26: I was reminded of another thing:
- some animals when in danger tend to react weird:
- e.g. flys when they get "attacked" (e.g. by forced wind of someones mouth onto that animal) tend to continue their journey to the danger
- did not read more on this one, but perhaps something like panic reaction? though in my view it should lead you away from danger
- the alarm clocks should have wasp sound integrated made me think of this story again: there's no direct relation as in this story, but the wasp immediately saw the light and tried to get through the glass to the light/outside
- another thing I had to think of was: I'm not sure how strong the injury is, I guess by having feelers/sensors it reduces the speed a little, but can't escape the crash due to the current acceleration. Could see another small insect (length: <1 cm) live here on my screen: it fell about 15 cm before it flew away again. But yes, it tried a few times despite this experience...